Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Another one bites the dust...Bo Diddley

  1. #1
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    "Rock-and-roll pioneer Bo Diddley died early Monday morning (June 2), of heart failure, at his home in Archer, Florida. He was 79 years old."

    There's one you can't replace. RIP brother Bo. forums

    bodiddley 2

  2. #2
    Inactive Member timp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2007
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I feel old for saying this. But, they don't make em like this anymore. Some of today's so called musicians are nothing more than stage actors. It's like making a comparison between a vintage altec to today's lansing computer speakers.

    Tim

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    From wiki;
    On November 20, 1955, he appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show only to infuriate the host. "I did two songs and he got mad," Bo Diddley later recalled. "Ed Sullivan said that I was one of the first colored boys to ever double-cross him. Said that I wouldn't last six months". Bo Diddley was asked to sing Tennessee Ernie Ford's hit "Sixteen Tons", but when he appeared on stage, he sang "Bo Diddley." He was banned from further appearances.

    Ed sure screwed the pooch on that prediction! Listen as he st-st-stutters out his intro, "Rythym and roll...rythym and color...rythym and blues..."

    Ed Sullivan/Bo Diddley

    That was before my folks had a TV though...come to think about it, it was before they had me too. forums

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by bfish:
    ... Bo Diddley was asked to sing Tennessee Ernie Ford's hit "Sixteen Tons"...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was just reflecting on the implications of that. I wonder what would happen today if Letterman asked Tupac or Snoop Dog to sing "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBkrAESUbyI"?

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ June 02, 2008 07:15 PM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Post

    Alright...what would they sing...

    pbbbtt...p-p-pbbbt pbbbbt
    pbbbtt...p-p-pbbbt pbbbbt
    16 tons of marijuana yeah.
    Another cap busted in the back of my a$$.
    It's sweeter den a ho or a packed billfold.
    I hold my pole cos I can't get a ***** .
    pbbbtt...p-p-pbbbt pbbbbt
    pbbbtt...p-p-pbbbt pbbbbt

    ...alright, what did you pay to get in tonight? forums

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Post

    w h o r e

  7. #7
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Gesundheit !

    To think the spelling bee's over now...anna cudda beena contenda... forums

    Maybe next year...

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    I just can't see much in todays music. Tell me what of what we hear now will be a classic in 20 years? Little if any.

    Elevator music will still be what we have now.

    I think this is why blues is still strong.....roots.

    Gads.....

    BTW....to quote Jim Morrison, "No one here get's out alive"
    And the famous line from Pink Floyd, "We all gotta go sometime".

    So for those we grew up with, thanks for the memories that will last forever.

    Ron

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ June 03, 2008 01:33 AM: Message edited by: RonSS ]</font>

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by bfish: I wonder what would happen today if Letterman asked Tupac.....
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Since Tupac is dead (12 years ago), Letterman would probably get some strange looks if nothing else.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    O...K, guess that shows how much attention I pay to that genre. I suppose a "RIP Tupac" would be the right thing to say here.

    Regardless of the details though, I don't think either of you grokked the real signifigance of my Q, not that it's important. I don't know how to elaborate without appearing racist by today's PC standards, so let it slide. Perhaps the other fogeys that remember Ed's show, "Sixteen Tons", and the absurdity of the times got it. forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.